Canvey's War Memorial

Original Site

By Janet Penn

Photo:Chelmsford Chronicle 18 November 1932

Chelmsford Chronicle 18 November 1932

Below is a picture of Canvey's War Memorial in its original position at the junction of Long Road and Craven Road (Jones Corner). In 1926 the ground was donated by George Chambers, as well as a garden there was a fountain which you can just make out in the picture. The Memorial was unveiled in 1932 by Mrs George Woods, see Newspaper clipping.

The WWI plaque was removed from the memorial probably when it was moved in the 50s. It was presented to the Canvey Island Branch of the British Legion by Councillor Jennifer Howlett, The Mayor of Castle Point, on Saturday 30th March 1996 where it has been on their wall until its return to the War Memorial in 2010.

Photo:The War Memorial at Jones Corner. Designed by Eugene Lawrence

The War Memorial at Jones Corner. Designed by Eugene Lawrence

Photo:The WWI plaque on the British Legion wall in 2010

The WWI plaque on the British Legion wall in 2010

Janet Penn

Photo:The plaque is reunited with the main war memorial in time for Remembrance day 2010

The plaque is reunited with the main war memorial in time for Remembrance day 2010

Janet Penn

This page was added by Janet Penn on 16/07/2012.
Comments about this page

Don't know whether its ever been brought up before but on this memorial under Frederick Potter HMS SYLVIA should read HMS SALVIA which was a convoy sloop 'Q' ship 'Q15'. Apologies if already known.

By Tony
On 09/07/2013