Kelly's Directory Of Essex 1917

Canvey Island Residents and Commercial

Canvey Island, which is united to South Benfleet at low water by a causeway across Hadleigh Bay, and- originally part of the parishes of Bowers Gifford, Hadleigh, North Benfleet, Laindon, Pitsea, Prittlewell, South Benfleet, Southchurch and Vange, was formed into a civil and ecclesiastical parish 4 March, 1881 j it is supposed by some to be the ” Counos,” of Convennos Insula ” of the ancient geographer Ptolemy a name assigned by others to the Isle of Sheppy, and is a marshy island of the Thames, defended by high banks all round, erected in 1623; it is in the South Eastern division of the county, Rochford petty sessional division and union, Southend county court district, Canewdon and Southend rural deanery, Essex arch­deaconry and Chelmsford diocese; forms very rich grazing ground and includes a large quantity of arable land. Canvey church is 10 miles west from Southend-on-Sea and 2 south from South Benfleet station on the London, Tilbury and Southend railway. The church of St. Katharine, erected in 1875 in the place of an earlier building dating from 1712, the only portions of which now remaining are some windows and the porch, is a structure of wood, consisting: of chancel, nave, tran­septs and a small central belfry, with spire, containing one bell: there are 160 sittings. The register dates from the year 1819, previous to which date the entries were made in the South Benfleet register. The living is a vicarage, net yearly value £239, -with glebe (£10) and residence, in the gift of the Bishop of Chelmsford, and held since 1909 by the Rev. Joseph Romanus Brown. Here is a small hall belonging to the Evangelists. Here is a coast guards station, with a station officer and seven men. Here is the Chapman lighthouse, opened in 1851; it stands half a mile from the island due south-east. The principal landowners are the Ecclesiastical Commissioners, Sir Thomas Lewis Hughes Neave bart., D.L., J.P. and Messrs. A. M. and Gr. Clark. The island is 6 miles long by 3 broad, and contains 4,370 acres of land, 30 of inland and 2,624 of tidal water and 2,031 of foreshore; rateable value, £3,863; the population in 1911 was 583.

Post & T, & Telephonic Express Delivery Office.—James Woods, sub-postmaster. Letters received from South Benfleet should have Essex added. South Benfleet is. the nearest money order office, 2 miles distant

Post Office, Canvey-on-Sea.—Walter Cox, sub-post­master. Letters received from South Benfleet should have Essex added. Canvey Island, 3 miles distant is the nearest telegraph office, & South Benfleet, 5 miles distant, the nearest money order office

Pillar Letter Boxes.—Canvey-on-Sea & near Coast Guard Station

Coast Guard Station, John Bloxham B.N. station officer

Public Elementary School (mixed), built in 1874, for 75 children; George T, Machin, master

Abraham Henry, Riversdale, Canvey-on-Sea
Brown Rev. Joseph Rornanus (vicar), Vicarage
Chambers George Henry, dairy farm
Hand Miss, The Laurels
Harper Alfred Adams, Marguerite, Canvey-on-Sea
Machin George T. School house
Payne Robert Alexander, The Clan
Seemssen Herbert, Ubendycke, Win­ter gardens
Watson Mrs. Marsden

Commercial
Attwell
Theodore, butcher
Bloxham John, station officer of Coastguard
Bone John, jobmaster
Brown Charles, farmer
Chambers George Henry, dairy farmer
Cox Walter, grocer, Post office, Canvey-on-Sea
Girls’ Rest House(Miss James,matrn)
Grubb Charles, farmer
Harrison John, farmer, Waterside frm
Heathcote Sidney Horace Aylett, farmer, Further-wick farm
Hotel Kynoch (Douglas Hemus, mgr)
Leach Aaron, farmer
Leach Frederick, farmer
Machin George T, insurance agent
Maurice Hostel (Miss Beatrice Vivian, sec.), Swedish bungalow, Winter gardens
Pease Wm. farmer, Little Brick ho
Petty William George, shopkeeper, Canvey-on-Sea
Potton Walt, farm bailiff to Kynoch’s Explosives Go. Limited
Scott Janet (Mrs.), shopkeeper
Stanford Thomas Wm. beer retailer
Suter Walter, boot maker
Theobald Henry William, farmer
Wainwright Alfd. bldr. Canvey-on-Sea
Went James, Lobster Smack P.H
White Harry & Joseph M. Farmers. Southwick
Woods George, baker
Woods James, grocer, Post office
Woods William James, insurance agt
Wright John, ferryman

No Comments

Start the ball rolling by posting a comment on this page!

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *