Kelly's Directory of Essex 1914
Canvey Island Residents and Commercial
Canvey Island, which is united to South Benfleet at low water by a causeway across Hadleigh Ray, was formed into a civil and ecclesiastical parish in 1881 and was originally part of the parishes of Bowers Gifford, Hadleigh, North Benfleet, Laindon, Pitsea, Prittlewell, South Benfleet, Southchurch and Vange: it is supposed by some to be the Counos or Covennos Insula of the ancient geographer Ptolemy, a name assigned by others to the Isle of Sheppy and is a marsh island of the Thames, defended by high banks all round, erected in 1623; it forms a very rich grazing ground, with a large quantity of arable land. Here is a coastguard station with a chief officer and eight men. The nearest station is South Benfleet, two miles north, on the London, Tilbury and Southend railway: it is in the Southern division of the county, Rochford union and county court district, rural deanery of Rochford, archdeaconry of Essex and diocese of St Albans. The church of St Katherine consists of chancel, nave and two transepts and a small belfry, with spire, containing 1 bell and was erected in 1875 in the place of a structure dating from 1712, the only portions of which remaining are some windows and the porch. The register dates from the year 1819; previous to which date the entries were made in the South Benfleet register. The living is a vicarage, net yearly value 3239, with glebe (£10) and residence, in the gift of the Bishop of Chelmsford, and held since 1909 by Rev. Joseph Romanus Brown. Here is a small hall belonging to the Evangelists. Here is a coast guard station with a station offiver and seven men. Here is the Chapman lighthouse, opened in 1851; it stands half a mile from the island due southeast. The principal landowners are the Ecclesiastical Commissioners, Sir Thomas Lewis Hughes Neave bart. Of Dagenham Park, Romford, and Messrs. A.M.& G. Clark. The island is 6 miles long by 3 broad, and contains 4,370 acres of land, 30 of inland and 2,624 of tidal water and 2,031 of foreshore; rateable value, £3,661; the population in 1911 was 583.
Post & T. Office.-James Woods, sub-postmaster. Letters received from South Benfleet at 8.50am & 6.30pm; dispatched at 9.50am & 7.20pm; Sundays delivery 10.5am; dispatched, 11.10am. South Benfleet is the nearest money order office, 2 miles distant. Post Office, Canvey-on-sea.-Walter Cox, sub-postmaster. Letters received from South Benfleet at 9.30am; despatched at 9.45am & 6pm; Sundays, delivery, 11am; dispatched, 11.15am. Canvey Island, 3 miles distant, is nearest telegraph office, and South Benfleet, 5 miles distant, the nearest money order office. Pillar Letter Boxes.-Canvey-on-sea, cleared at 9.30am & 6.5pm weekdays; Sundays, 10.40am; near Coast Guard Station, cleared at 9am & 6.50pm weekdays; Sunday, 10am. Coast Guard Station, John Bloxham RN station officer Public Elemetary School (mixed), built 1874, for 75 children; average attendance, 64; George T Machin, master
Private Residents Abraham Henry, Riversdale, Canvey-on-Sea Bolton James Ebor, Kilcreggan Brown Rev. Joseph Romanus (vicar) Vicarage Caldwell Charles Henry, Newcourt Coleman Gerald, Swedish bungalow, Winter Gardens Harper Alfred Adams, Marguerite, Canvey-on-Sea Paul Miss, Haven cottage Payne Robert Alexander, The Clan Seemssen Herbert, Ubendycke, Winter gardens
Commercial Altwell Theodore, butcher Beckwith Chas, Lobster Smack PH Bloxham John, station officer of coastguard Bolton James Ebor L.S.A surgeon, Kilcreggan Bone John, jobmaster Brown Charles, farmer Cox Walter, grocer, Post Office, Canvey-on-Sea Grubb Charles, farmer Harrison John, farmer, Waterside frm Heathcote Thomas Lee, farmer, Furtherwick farm Hotel Kynoch, James Went, manager Laech Aaron, farmer Leach Frederick, farmer Neal Wm. Farmer, Little Brick ho Petty William George, shopkeeper, Canvey-on-Sea Potton Walt, farm bailiff to Kynoch’s Explosives Co Limited Predie Edward, builder, Higham lodge, Canvey-on-Sea Preedy Brothers, builders Scott Charles, shopkeeper Theobald Henry William, farmer Vallance Alfred & Son, builders Wainwright Alfd. Bldr. Canvey-on-Sea White William, beer retailer White Arthur, farmer Woods George, baker Woods James, grocer, Post Office Woods William James, insurance agt Wright John, ferryman