Kelly's Directory of Essex 1922

Canvey Island Residents and Commercial

Canvey Island, which is united to South Benfleet at low water by a causeway across Hadleigh Ray, and originally part of the parishes of Bowers Gilford, Hadleigh, North Benfleet, Laindon, Pitsea, Prittlewell, South Benfleet, Southchurch and Vange, was formed into a civil and ecclesiastical parish 4 March, 1881; it is supposed by some to be the “Counos,” of “Convennos Insula” of the ancient geographer Ptolemy, a name assigned by others to the Isle of Sheppy, and is a marshy island of the Thames, defended by high banks all round, erected in 1623; it is in the South Eastern division of the county, Rochford petty sessional division and union, Southend county court district, Canewdon and Southend rural deanery, Essex arch­deaconry and Chelmsford diocese; it forms very rich grazing ground and includes a large quantity of arable land. Canvey church is 10 miles west from Southend-on-Sea and 2 south from South Benfleet station on the London, Tilbury and Southend railway. The church of St. Katharine, erected in 1875 in the place of an earlier building dating from 1712, the only portions of which now remaining are some windows and the porch, is a structure of wood, consisting of chancel, nave, tran­septs and a small central belfry, with spire, containing one bell: there are 160 sittings. The register dates from the year 1819, previous to which date the entries were made in the South Benfleet register. The living is a vicarage, net yearly value £293, with glebe (£10) and residence, in the gift of the Bishop of Chelmsford, and held since 1919 by the Rev. Edwin Green M.A. of Dur­ham University. Here is a small hall belonging to the Evangelists. Here is a coast guard station, with a station officer and seven men. The Chapman lighthouse was opened in 1851; it stands half a mile from the island due south-east. The principal landowners are the Ecclesiastical Commissioners, Sir Thomas Lewis Hughes Neave bart., D.L., J.P. and Messrs. A. M. and G. Clark. The island is 6 miles long by 3 broad, and contains 4,370 acres of land, 30 of inland and 2,624 of tidal water and 2,031 of foreshore; rateable value, £5,777; the population in 1911 was 583.

Post, T. & T. E. D. Office.—James Woods, sub-post­master. Letters received from South Benfleet should have Essex added. South Benfleet is the nearest money order office, 2 miles distant

Post Office, Canvey-on-Sea.—Walter Cox, sub-post­master. Letters received from South Benfleet should have Essex added. Canvey Island, 3 miles distant, is the nearest telegraph office, & South Benfleet, 5 miles distant, the nearest money order office

Pillar Letter Boxes.—Canvey-on-Sea & near Coast Guard Station

Coast Guard Station, Frederick John Boyes R.N. sta­tion officer

Public Elementary School (mixed), built in 1874, for 75 children: George T. Machin, master

Private Residents.
Abraham Henry, Better-‘Ole, Canvey-on-Sea
Green Rev. Edwin M.A. (vicar), Vicarage
Hand Miss, The Laurels
Harper Alfred Adams, Horaceville, Canvey-on-Sea
Machin George T. School house
Seemssen Herbert, Ubendycke, Win­ter gardens
Watson Mrs. Marsden

Commercial.
Attwell
Frederick George, butcher, Leigh beck, Canvey-on-Sea
Attwell Theodore, butcher
Bateman Harry, blacksmith, The Village
Bickerton Jane Maria (Mrs.), shop­keeper, Gains road, Leighbeck, Canvey-on-Sea
Bond Thomas Hazell, grocer, Sunny brook
Bone John, jobmaster
Boyes Frederick John, station officer of coastguard
Brown Charles, farmer
Bull Ashley Ernest, jobmaster, Lake-view lodge
Canvey Supply Co. (Eugene Law­rence, proprietor), builders’ mers
Chambers George Henry,dairy farmer
Claydon John, frmr, Leighbeck farm
Cockle Arthur, builders’ merchant, Canvey village
Cook Edward John, dairy farmer
Cook Fred, jobmaster
Cox Walter, grocer, Post office, Can­vey-on-Sea
Gill Colin, hardware dealer, Gains road, Leighbeck
Girls’ Rest House(Miss James,matrn)
Glazin Ernest, shopkeeper, Gains rd. Leighbeck
Golbourn Charles Hy. greengrocer Canvey lodge
Gregson William Hart, builder, The Lake
Grubb Charles, farmer
Harrison John & Barber Thomas, farmers, Waterside farm
Hiscock Victor, automobile engineer, Small Gains garage, Leighbeck
Hooton Brian, ironmonger, Leighbeck
Hooton Jessie Grace (Mrs.), confectnr
Humberstone Rose Annie (Miss), boarding house, Beach house
Leach Aaron, farmer
Leach Frederick, farmer
Loe Alfred, builder, Small Gains
Machin George T. insurance agent
Maurice Hostel (Miss Beatrice Vivian, sec), Swedish bungalow, Winter
gardens
Nickolds Percy Frederick B. job­master, Canvey-on-Sea
Pease Wm. farmer, Little Brick ho
Petty William George, shopkeeper, Canvey-on-Sea
Potter Wm. farm bailiff to Kynoch’s Explosives Co. Limited
Price-Powell Herbert, landowner, Small Gains Estate office, Canvey-on-Sea
Scott Janet (Mrs.), shopkeeper
Stanford Thomas Wm. beer retailer
Suter Walter, grocer
Swift Edward Hibbert, Hotel Kynoch
Tasker Frank, shopkeeper, Leighbeck, Canvey-on-Sea
Theobald Henry William, farmer
Thompson George, fishmonger, Gains road, Leighbeck
Treleaven Arthur Giscard, baker, Leighbeck, Canvey-on-Sea
Wade Herbert John, automobile engineer, Mount Pleasant garage, Leighbeck, Canvey-on-Sea
Wainwright Alfd. bldr. Canvey-on-Sea
Went James, Lobster Smack P.H
White Harry & Joseph M. farmers, Southwick
Woods James & Bone John Horace, grocers, Post office
Woods George, baker
Woods William James, insurance agt
Wright John, ferryman

No Comments

Start the ball rolling by posting a comment on this page!

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *