Kelly's Directory of Essex 1925-6
Canvey Island, Residents and Commercial
Canvey Island, which is united to South Benfleet at low water by a causeway across Hadleigh Ray, and originally part of the parishes of Bowers Gifford, Hadleigh, North Benfleet, Laindon, Pitsea, Prittlewell, South Benfleet, Southchurch and Vange, was formed into a civil and ecclesiastical parish 4 March, 1881; it is supposed by some to be the ” Counos,” of “Convennos Insula” of the ancient geographer Ptolemy, a name assigned by others to the Isle of Sheppy, and, is a marshy island of the Thames, defended by high banks all round, erected in 1623; it is in the South Eastern division of the county, Rochford petty sessional division and union, Southend county court district. Canewdon and Southend rural deanery, Southend archdeaconry and Chelmsford diocese; it forms very rich grazing ground and includes a large quantity of arable land. Canvey church is 10 miles west from Southend-on-Sea and 2 south from South Benfleet station on the London, Midland and Scottish railway. The church of St. Katharine, erected in 1875 in the place of an earlier building dating from 1712, the only portions of which now remaining are some windows and the porch, is a structure of wood, consisting of chancel, nave, transepts and a small central belfry, with spire, containing one bell: there are 160 sittings. The register dates from the year 1819, previous to which date the entries were made in the South Benfleet register. The living is a vicarage, net yearly value £340, with glebe (£14) and residence, in the gift of the Bishop of Chelmsford, and held since 1919 by the Rev. Edwin Green M.A., L.Th. of Durham University. Here is a small hall belonging to St. Anne’s church and a Baptist chapel. The Chapman lighthouse was opened in 1851; it stands half a mile from the island due south-east. The principal landowners are the Ecclesiastical Commissioners, Messrs. A. M. Clarke esq. and George Chambers esq. The island is 6 miles long by 3 broad, and contains 4,370 acres of land, 30 of inland and 2,624 of tidal water and 2,031 of foreshore; rateable value, £13,721; the population in 1921 was 1,795.
Post, M. 0., T. & T. E. D. Office.—Wilfrid Scott, postmaster. Letters should have Essex added
Post & Telephone Call Office, Canvey-on-Sea.—Walter Cox, sub-postmaster. Letters should have Essex added
Public Elementary School (mixed), built in 1924, for 260 children; William Read, master
Bensley Harold, Benz Hill, Oysterfleet
Bowers Ernest, Alicia lodge, Oxford rd
Chambers George H. Maison Wick, Furtherwick road
Dellaway Hy. John, Redcroft, Long rd
Evans Miss Irene, Kingsley, Old Wall road
Green Rev. Edwin M.A., L.Th.: (vicar), Vicarage’.
Gregson Capt. William H. The Lake,
Hand Miss, The Laurels
Harper Alfred Adams, Horaceville
Henderson Frank , Dungannon, Long rd
Jackson Wm. Police ho. The Village
Judd Charles, Old Wall road
Kaye Mrs. E. B. The Fullstop, Leigh Beck
Lancaster Charles, Soundy’s stores, Gains road
Lawrence Eugene, Welbeck, Long rd
Levi Nissim, Kismet
Read William D. School
Robertson Mrs. John, School house
Siemssen Herbert, “Ubendycke, Winter gardens .
Tibbles Horace V. Church road
Watson Mrs. Marsden
Wheatley John Norman, San Remo, Gains road
Adams Frederick, farmer, Hilcot frm
Allens, Motor engineers & Contractors; cars for hire, ‘Overhauled & repaired; spare parts & accessories, also garaging’ Leigh Beck.
Allingham Chas. confectioner. London rd
Attwell Frederick George, butcher, Leigh Beck.
Barclays Bank Ltd. (sub-branch), Gains corner; head office, 54 Lombard street, London E C 3
Bateman Harry, blacksmith, The Village
Beecroft Walter G. ‘solicitor, Gains rd
Bishop & Son, greengrocers, The Market, London road
Bohemia Park Hall, Gains road
Bond Thomas Hazell, grocer, Sunny brook
Bone & Son, butchers, London road
Bone Stanley, jobmaster
Brassington John, fancy goods & stationery, The Market, London road & Bonanza, Gains road
Breach Alex. R. motor engnr. Gains rd
Brown Charles, farmer
Burchfield Geo. estate agt. London rd
Bush Harry J. news agent, London road & Furtherwick road
Canvey Book Stores, Gains road
Canvey Hall (Morris Hartfield, proprietor), Gains road
Canvey Island Market & Trading Co. Ltd, London road.
Canvey Sports Club,London rd.
Canvey Supply Co. (Eugene Lawrence, proprietor), builders’ merchants, Gains road.
Carter, Claxton & Co. cartage contractors, Lakeside
Chambers Horace E. dairyman, Furtherwick farm & London road, Leigh Beck
Chapple John W. greengrocr. Gains rd
Clark & Son, motor engineers, Albert garage, Leigh Beck
Clarke Arthur Mathew, farmer Lubbins farm
Claydon John, farmer
Clements Ernest, dairyman, Gains rd
Cockle Arth. builders’ mer. The Village
Collins The Misses, drapers; ladies’ outfitting & baby linen, Gains road
Convent of the Good Shepherd (Rev. Mother, superior)
Cook Fred, dairyman, Lakeside
Cox Walter, hotel proprietor; cafe & board-residence; dancing, Post office, Station road
Deasy M. grocer, Pandora
Dellaway Henry John, The Hay Stack P.H. Furtherwick corner
Eames Harold, shoe maker, Gains rd
Express Laundry Ltd. (Ernest Bower.manager), The Arcade, London rd
Farley Alfred, house decorator, Lyall, Warram avenue
Fisk Frederick, builder & estate agent, Furtherwick corner
Fletcher & Ingram, draprs. Lakeside
Franke R. & Son, builders, Oyster Fleet road
Franklin William H. fishmonger, The Arcade, London road
Girls’ Rest House (Miss James,matron)
Golbourn Charles Henry ,greengrocer, Leigh Beck
Gregory E. Lennox, builder; bungalows &c. built to any design, Gains road
Hampshire George, builder; bungalows &c. built to any design, Gains road.
Harrison John & Barber Thos. farmrs
Hart Henry, butcher, Gains road
Hawes H. & D. druggists; films supplied, developed & printed, Cotswold drug stores, London road
Hazelton Mrs, refreshment rooms, Gains road
Heed George, shopkeeper, Gains rd
Hill Arthur & Co. builders’ merchants; manufacturers of Hill’s Chemical Closet, The Village
Hinton Ethel (Mrs.), greengrocer, Gains road
Hiscock Victor, automobile engineer, Small Gains garage, Leigh Beck
Holmes Bros, hardware dlrs.Gains rd
Hooton Jessie Grace (Mrs.), confectioner, London road
Hudgall John G. greengrocer, The Arcade, London road
Humberstone Rose Annie (Miss), boarding house, Beach house
Island Billiard & Social Club, Gains road.
Jenning A. F. & Son, ironmongers, Leigh Beck
Jones Bros, ironmongers, Gains road
Kemp John, fishmonger, The Market, London road
Kimming E. H. sign writer, Gains rd
Kingsley Hall School (private); pupils five years to fourteen
Kingsley William,refreshment rooms, Travellers’ Rest, London rd.
Kirby George, Hotel Kynoch, Station road.
Leach Aaron, farmer Leach Frederick, farmer
Ledru Flora (Mrs.), shopkpr. Lapraire
Loe Alfred, builder, Small Gains
London Road Club, London road
McDermott Herbert, confectioner, Lakeside corner
McKinner Wm. coal mer. Gains road
McLaren Thomas, architect, The Clock house, London road
McLaren Thomas, stationer, surveyor,, civil & mechanical engineer, The Clock house, London road McNaughton Jean (Miss), boarding house, Gains road
Mardall 0. firewood merchant, Hazlewood.
Marsh Harry C, Baker & Confectioner; parties catered for, Further wick corner.
Maurice Hostel (Miss Beatrice Vivian, sec), Swedish bungalow, Winter gardens
Mecca —, confectioner, Gains road
Millins Augustus G. surveyor & estate & insurance agent, Gains road,
Moody Frederick E. shopkeeper, Gains road, Leigh Beck
Moody Rosina (Mrs.), house furnishr.
The Towers stores, Gains road
Moss Charles E. market gardener, Blackthorns, Lakeside
Moss Ethel (Madame), hair dresser. Old Wall road
Munby Edward, builder, Gains road
Nickolds Percy, coal merchant, Southview, London road.
Palmer & Stevens, bakers, London road & The Arcade, London road
Pavilion Restaurant, Shell beach.
Payne Walter, grocer, Post office
Pearse’s Garage & Motor Works, motor engineers
Pearse’s Motor Services, motor omnibus proprietors
Pease Percy J. farmer,Little Brick ho
Petty William George, shopkeeper
Phillips P. (Mrs.), Queensbury hotel) Station road
Polly George, ferryman
Powell Florence (Miss), boarding house, Warley, London road
Powell Price H. Estate Agent & Builder, Small Gains.
Preedy Edward, builder, Gains road
Rendezvous Club (Went & Tibbles, proprietors), Gains road
Robson Alice (Mrs.), boarding house London road
Ryall Percy, motor engineer, The Webley motor & cycle works: prams retyred & repaired, Lakeside corner
Saunders Alice (Mrs.), wardrob dealer, The Market, London road
Scott Janet (Mrs.), shopkeeper, The Village
Selby George, hair dresser, 4 The Arcade, London road
Seymour Sidney, optician, Woodview Gains road
Shayes Charles, shopkeeper; film supplied, developed & printed, Oyster Fleet stores
Sherborne Alfred K. refreshment; rooms, Lakeside corner.
Siemssen Henry, estate agent, Winter gardens.
Small Gains Call Office, Gains road.
Smith Edwin H. grocery The Arcade, London road
Soanes William, refreshment rooms, Cricksea, London road.
Soundy’s Stores, grocers (Charles Lancaster, manager), Gains road.
Stanford Thomas William, White Bull P.H. The Village (Ed: White Bull? Is this a mistake or did the pub change names at some point?)
Stott & Brebbers, grocrs. Small Gains
Stott Wilfrid Adair, confectioner,Post office, Small Gains
Tasker Frank, shopkeeper,Leigh Beck
The Towers Stores, house furnishers, bedding & tent specialists, Gains road
Theobald Henry William, farmer
Thompson George, fishmonger, Gains road, Leigh Beck
Thurston Albert H. grocer, The Bungalow, Gains road
Treleaven Arthur Giscard, baker, London Road
Tibbett William J. builders’ merchant, The Village
Tibbles Arth. motor engnr. Gains rd
Venables Charles M.P.s. chemist, Gains road
Wade Hy. market gardnr. Better Ole
Wade Herbert John, grocer, Leigh Beck.
Wainwright Alfred, builder
Watkins Alfred, shopkpr. Kent view
Went James, Lobster Smack P.H. Furtherwick.
Westminster Bank Ltd. (sub-branch), Gains road; head office, 41 Lothbury, London E C 2
Wheatley John Norman L.M.S.S.A. physician & surgeon, San Remo, Gains road.
Whiskin E. & N. & T. confectioners, tobacconists, news agents & music dealers, Gains road
White H. & J. M. farmers
Woods James & Bone John Horace, grocers, The Village
Woods George, baker, The Village
Woods William James, insurance agent. The Village
Yorworth Richard D, confectioner & tobacconist, Gains road, Leigh Beck