Home Making at Canvey part 4
Southend Times Pictorial Supplement 1923
All the beauties of the gleaming estuary, with the ever-faithful Chapman light in the mid-distance, were unfolded before the gaze of the visitors.
“There are some fine bass to be taken off Southend,” remarked Joe. And then he and Elsie went to see some of Mr Thompson’s fish emporium.
Thence to the hub of amusement in Canvey, the Canvey Pavillion, where Harry Hartfield’s Syncopated Orchestra and Louis Freeman at the piano set everyone dancing.
Canvey is fortunate in being connected with Southend by an excellent motor-boat flotilla, owned by Messrs. Davis, Childs and Co. of 5, Palmeira Towers, Westcliff.
After a trip in the motor-boat, light refreshments were taken at the “L’il Hut”, owned by Captain Carleton, passenger-agent for the motor-boat service.
A glorious scramble over the rocks, carpeted with ozone-laden seaweed. “This is the life!” exclaimed Elsie, as she drank in the sea’s good air.
Everyone goes to dances at Canvey Hall, the owner of which, Mr Harry Hartfield, has done so much to improve the island, So the newcomers went too.
Joe became the owner of a Canvey home and here you see him and Elsie entertaining their Benfleet relations, who brought them to South-East Essex