We have been given a large amount of photos and negatives which cover Canvey's sea defences from about 1939-to the present day. There are pictures of repairs to the sluice gates c1940, which control the flood waters. The repairs to the seawalls in 1953 and the building of our present sea defences, namely the new seawall built in the late 1970's which included barriers at East Creek and also at Benfleet. Although some of these pictures will not be of interest to a lot of people, the defences are a vital tool in the fight against the tides. Without them Canvey would not exist today.
Donated by John and Eileen Potter
Other pictures from their collection can be viewed here.