The Rio cinema was originally opened in 1937 just prior to WW2. The Proprietor was Francis Bertram. The films were changed twice a week and there was a children’s show on Saturday. The building continued to show films up until its closure in 1976. It became the Canvey Social Club later to be Rio Bingo.
This section is dedicated to the Rio with pictures and stories related to it.