Smallgains Farm

Stories and pictures of Smallgains Farm

From Dowd's Cyclopaedia:-

derivation   :  typical derogatory name used generally by farmers to plead poverty; orig called New Land;  history :  an un-named area on the 1700 map consisted of Low Marsh & other land added by Richard Harrison - ltr more by Daniel Nash.  Tenanted by the Morley family in 1851, along with Wreckhall Farm; 1881 res.: the Murrays. Flooded in 1897 & sold to Hester that year: he stayed on here after his 1905 bankruptcy for another 6 years