The Crossing

There has beenĀ a crossing-point to Canvey at low-tide for pedestrians and wheeled transport via the gravel hard on the bed of Benfleet Creek since at least the fifteenth century. There is photographic evidence from the late 19th century of the rowing-boat ferry and a variety of stepping stones.

After years of lobbying by the islanders, a road-bridge named after Brigadier-General R. B. Colvin was opened on 21st May 1931 by Alderman J. H. Burrows J.P. This was replaced by the present structure opened in 1973.

In this section will be postcards, pictures, facts and figures about the crossing.