St Joseph's School and Sisters of Mercy Convent
The Convent on Canvey was originally set up in the 1920's by Anglican Nuns, after the war during which it was requisitioned by the War department, the Sisters of Mercy came to the Island and took over the old convent. They set up the school which eventually had a new building opened in 1955 and dedicated to St Joseph. The convent as we know it today was built in 1971. As it is difficult to distinguish between the school and convent we decided to keep all pictures and stories together.