The Corner Club is no more
Destroyed by fire 9th November 2010
Canvey Island woke up yesterday to the lose of another part of Canvey’s history. The Corner Club, which has been at Smallgains Corner for at least 60 years was at the centre of a fire which engulfed not only the club but Smallgains Timber Yard and the shop at the front. Fortunately no-one was injured in the fire but several homes, which are very close to the site were evacuated.
The Fire Brigade incident report on their website stated they attended the fire around 4.22am:
- Firefighters are tackling a fire in a woodyard in Canvey which broke out in the early hours today. The officer in charge reports that a building measuring 30 metres by 10 metres is 80% alight. Crews are tackling the fire using two hose reel jets, two main jets and a monitor jet.
- Update: The fire is in a series of single storey units consisting of two shops and a bar/club and a timber yard at the back.
- As of 07:30 this morning there are eight crews working on the fire which is now completely surrounded.
- The entire building caught light and all of the units have been totally destroyed by the blaze.
- Firefighters are currently using four monitors and three main jets to extinguish the fire which is now fully surrounded and under control.
- Divisional Officer Bob Wahl, officer in charge, said: “Crews have done an excellent job containing this fire and preventing it from spreading to the nearby homes. It has been a fierce blaze and the buildings are totally destroyed. Crews have worked extremely hard throughout the night and the fire is now completely surrounded and contained.”
Do you have memories or pictures of the Club please email them in or comment below.