It was 160 years ago that the Chapman Lighthouse was erected off the South coast of Canvey Island to direct shipping away from the dangerous sand banks. It was dismantled in 1957 after an inspection found the metal supports to be badley corroded.
Today the Heritage Centre Art Group put on a Marine Exhibition to commemorate the Anniversary and this model of the lighthouse was centre stage.
There are several pictures, paintings and stories of the lighthouse on the site. The most informative can be found here.
Add a comment about this page