On the 11th August 2012 we were invited to attend the unveiling of a refurbished window in St Katherine’s (The Heritage Centre) that was being dedicated to Reverend John Fleetwood, the last vicar of St Katherines and the overseer of the building of the new church St Nicholas. John Fleetwood was the vicar of Canvey Island from 1957-1973.
Rev Fleetwood’s son, David, did the honours and unveiled the window after Don, the Chairman, had welcomed the family. Rev Marion did a short service and Ray Howard also spoke to the people gathered.
Three generations of the Fleetwood family were in attendance, including two very well behaved young babies (Rev Fleetwood’s great grandchildren).