My Canvey Memories

Interview with Thelma Payne

Don and Thelma in the early years

Thelma Payne (nee Savill) was born in Greenwich in 1931. She first visited Canvey in 1948 when a friend whose family had a holiday bungalow on the island invited her to come and see it. So she did and whilst she was here she met her future husband Don Payne. Don was born in 1930 and moved to Canvey with his family when he was three. He lived in an Avenue right opposite the General Stores where the one way system is now. The bungalow is not there anymore, it was pulled down and another built in its place.  Don was doing his National Service and was home on leave when Thelma made her visit and when he returned to barracks they started writing. They married in 1951 and moved to Canvey to be near Don’s family and when the floods hit in January 1953 Thelma was seven months pregnant.

Don and Thelma shortly before his death

Thelma and her husband lived in a bungalow in Foster Road, 31st January 1953 was a terrible night, very cold and there was a violent gale. Thelma said to her husband “I want to go for a walk along the sea wall.” He said “Don’t be daft, how can we go out on a night like this?” They went to bed but Thelma woke at about 2 am and looked out of the window and it looked like it was snowing as she went to lay down she heard a whooshing sound.  She woke her husband and said to him “I can hear the sea”. A few minutes later the first wave hit the bungalow “it was terrible” she says. They jumped out of bed but by then there was water on the floor half way up their shins.  Realising the seawall had gone Thelma’s husband said they must get out of the bungalow but as he opened the door the build up of water rushed in and knocked him over. They struggled out into the garden, by this time the water was chest high and in spite of her pregnancy Thelma managed to get over the garden fence. They went into the house next door and they all went upstairs. They stayed there until it got light, the water was still very high but her husband was concerned in case she went into labour. He wondered if their bath was still there on the wall of their bungalow. So they went and looked and found it was wedged against the toilet. He swam back to their bungalow and got the tin bath brought it inside and up the stairs as near as he could and Thelma managed to climb in. Don pushed her along Foster Road and Larup Avenue to higher ground where an Army lorry took her to the reception centre at King John’s School in Benfleet.  Thelma’s husband then went back to see if the rest of his family were all right. He found that his mother had been taken to hospital. Her dog had woken her up and she had had to break a window to get out of her bungalow. She had cut her legs and feet badly and Mr. Shenton who came to her rescue gave her first aid and carried her to safety. Sadly, her dog was never found. The family stayed in the reception centre until they were asked if anybody had people they could go to and Thelma said her father lived in London and she could go to him. Which she did their bungalow was too flooded for them to return.

The Co-op

Thelma says “We stayed in London until we got another place on Canvey. My baby, a daughter, was born in London and it was nearly a year before we returned. Canvey was very desolate when we returned but things had started to pick up. They were still working on the walls making them much higher than before. I felt terrible at first, every time there was a full tide I used to look at the paper to find out what time the tide was so that I could stay up until it had gone.”

Thelma and her husband went on to have two more daughters after their return to Canvey. The girls attended local schools, first Long Road (Canvey County) then they were transferred to William Read and finally Furtherwick Park. As members of the Girl Guides and other similar organisations they were always in the Carnivals and Thelma misses the Carnival very much. She also remembers the Casino especially the ballroom upstairs where the couple used to go. They had dances every week, very nice place.

Friends from the WRVS

Don was a Steel Erector and had worked on Canary Wharf. In earlier years he built some bungalows and flats in North Avenue. Thelma worked until her retirement in the Co-op Chemist in Furtherwick Road. Once retired, as well as looking after her husband, who had health problems, needing to get out of the house for a while she joined the WRVS where she helped with meals, banking and serving. She has recently received her 15 years service medal. It was at the WRVS that we originally met although I seem to remember knowing her in the chemist. Unfortunately due to a stroke a couple of years ago she is now herself receiving help from the WRVS Luncheon Club. Thelma lost Don about five years ago.


Many thanks to Thelma for talking to me.

Comments about this page

  • Great story – Thanks Thelma & Jan

    By David Bullock (03/07/2009)
  • It was so lovely to read this article again about my mum and Dads life. Sadly my Mum and Dad are no longer with us so I was delighted to find the article that was written about them. I am trying to get the written copy and C.D that you did Janet as the original copy was mislaid when we cleared out my parents house. Would so love to get hold of it again and also a couple more copies for my sisters, especially as my eldest sister has just celebrated her 60th birthday. Look forward to hearing from you very much. Kind regards Karen Cobb. Youngest daughter of Thelma and Don Payne.

    By Karen Cobb (20/05/2013)
  • Hi Karen. Sorry to hear Thelma is no longer with us. I knew her and Don for many years. There is no written copy or cd. You can print off this page. I will find the recording I made when I interviewed Thelma and make a copy for you. I will be in touch

    By Janet Penn (20/05/2013)
  • Thank you Janet for your prompt reply. Look forward to hearing from you soon. Kind regards Karen x.

    By Karen Cobb (20/05/2013)
  • hi I’m just wondering in thelmas early days she worked co op bakery ?

    By Rachel (08/05/2015)
  • Thelma was my eldest sister. Thanks for posting this lovely historic remeberence. 

    By Ray Savill (27/10/2018)
  • I remember you and your lovely family Karen Cobb, when I lived just around the corner from you, so sorry to hear about the passing of your mum and dad xx I was Sue Driscoll xx

    By Sue Munke (19/11/2021)
  • Hi Karen
    So sorry to hear of your mum & dads passing,I will never forget them they was the most kindest people, my dad used to walk home from work with your dad and we would wait at the gate for him and on Friday it was our sweets day, sadly my dad died in 1964 when I was Nine but your dad carried on bringing us sweets every Friday.
    We lived down the road to you 49 Mornington rd and then long rd where your mum lived a few doors away I met your sister Janet a few years later in Rochford.
    We used to play at your house and your family always made us so welcome.
    My name is Sandra Nice now Malyon xx

    By Sandra (19/11/2021)

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published.