Lowering the High St/London Rd 1928
Series of photos donated by George Chambers
This series of photos of the lowering of the counter-wall (which formed the base of the original Canvey High St) were amongst a wealth of Canvey memorabilia made available to the Archive by George Chambers recently. We are looking forward to publishing several more items from this source shortly. The pictures are obviously professionally produced by a London firm ‘ Photo Press’ and dated on the reverse ‘Nov 28’. Possibly they were used for press or local government use.
Question; In the photo below of the corner of Arcadia Rd the building that was Chambers and Attwells shops still remains to this day as a house but does anybody have any info on the shop in the foreground which must have been pulled down shortly after the picture was taken and replaced by Greens’ Stores?