Jill Mead nee Pain and her brother Michael visited Canvey today bringing with them lots of photos and memorabilia from Kingsley Hall and the Evans family.
Jill and Michael’s grandmother, Ada Harridge was the daughter of Alfred Fitch Harridge (son of Crisp Harridge of the Lobster Smack Inn). Her older sister was Mary Ann who married Thomas Evans who was a vicar, Thomas died in 1904 and Mary Ann and the children came to live with her father Alfred F Harridge.
Alfred was a dentist and lived in a house called ‘Kingsley’, in Woking. In 1908 he had a house built on Canvey Island and called it ‘Kingsley’, it was surrounded by 2 acres of land fronting onto Central Wall and going right back to the lake. Alfred lived there with his wife and both daughters and their families, until his death in 1923.
At some point his daughters, Gwen and Irene started the school in the old home called ‘Kingsley Hall School’. It is noted that in 1929 Kingsley Hall School was located in Beach Road, according to Kelly’s Directory. Jill had a letterhead stating this fact.
There is also a plan dated 1924 for ‘Revision of plan 591, Room for school and public meetings in Beach Road’ lodge at the Essex Record Office the building was owned by Misses Irene A. Evans and Gwendoline Evans, KINGSLEY. Whilst the family lived at the house in Central Wall, did Irene and Gwen started the school in Beach Road moving the school to the house sometime later???? Will we ever know the answer. Perhaps the death of Irene in 1938 prompted the move. Jill and Michael did not know about Beach Road, so if anyone can tell us they would love to know the answer.
Miss Gwen died on the 17 Mar 1976 and is probably buried in St Katherine’s as is her sister Irene.
If you have memories of Kingsley Hall School please comment below.