Before the war Mr Beaumont, the owner of the Casino, rented the land between the Casino and the seafront and built a boating lake with wooden bridges across it for access to the beach. The bridges were dismantled during the war because they were seen by the authorities as an invasion threat.
Visitors were able to rent a rowing boat and paddle up and down the lake which was parallel with the seawall. This became a very popular pastime but was very labour intensive with constant repairs and maintenance needed.
After the 1953 flood when the seawall was made higher the boating lake was filled in by the Council using Canvey’s waste.
More can be read about the Casino on Dave’s Website