These two photos came to us recently and we were able to contact Robert (Robin) Winkelmann in California whose father Robert built the service station on the corner of Leigh Road in 1932. Once again Canvey was first when this station became the first station in Essex to use electric pumps.
In the pictures Robert snr is the chap on the right in the doorway.
The bottom picture is a composite picture Robin has put together using the top picture with himself sitting in Sir Tim Birkin’s Blower Bentley which Sir Tim had purchased from Robert Snr.
Add a comment about this page