The Nickolds family first came to Canvey before 1911. Percy Frederick Bowman Nickolds was born in 1879 in Kensington, London. He married his wife Eleanor Beatrice Ranson in Southwark in 1902. By the 1911 census they were settled in Canvey Island with their two sons John Frederick and George Albert. George was actually born on Canvey. The family were living at ‘Sea Glimpses’, Canvey Island and Percy had his occupation as Pianoforte Tuner in the surrounding district following similar occupations of his ancestors.
We have Percy and his wife in the 1918 Electoral roll at ‘Southwold’, Leigh Beck and in the Kelly’s directories in the 1920s as a coal merchant and living/working at ‘Southview’, High Street, Canvey. Again in the 1929 Electoral Roll their address is ‘South View’.
This photo shows that at some point George Albert set up a Haulage business and we find him in the Kelly’s Directory in 1933 when he was about 22. We do not know the date of this photo but it was taken outside the Marlborough Hotel. Can anyone guess at a date? It must have been before 1937 because George is not recorded in the Kellys for that year. In fact no Nickolds are recorded that year. So, is this George and his elder brother John? Ralph Howard the youngest son, who Graham Stevens has written about elsewhere on this site, was not born until 1922. So could it be George and Ralph? Possible if taken later in the 30s.
When was the Marlborough demolished?
If you can help in anyway please comment below.
Comments about this page
Sea Glimpse was down Maurice Road, near the current day Fortuna Stores approximately at current day house number 76/b . That part of Maurice Road was previously known as Vlodorp Ave.
In 1916 Percy F. NICKOLDS of Sunnyside, had a building plan approved for a 2 Bedroom property down Station Road (location around the current day GMD yard) I am guessing this may have been Southwold. This was built by R.G. HINDLE & Co.
Sunnyside was down Dovercliff Road very near to COX Café.
Add a comment about this page