When the Colonel Opened the Village
Castle Point Clarion 1973
It was twenty-five years ago that a village started in Canvey. In May, 1948, Lieut.-Col. Horace Percy Fielder opened ” a history of the Island in miniature” in the grounds of what was The Mascot Gardens, Furtherwick Road. A most enjoyable buffet preceded the ceremony.
Chief designer of this superb replica of Old Canvey was Mr. J. Fenwick, who with his wife has run it ever since on the sea front where it now is.
The village has been visited by thousands of holidaymakers to Canvey. The very modest admittance charge of 2 1/2p (sixpence in old money) still remains.
It has had its trials and tribulations as well. The 1953 flood damaged it, as so many Island homes were also affected. Vandals found it a target for their wanton destruction. Despite these setbacks the attraction has continued. It is to be hoped that it will celebrate many more anniversaries.
•Actual day of opening was Saturday, May 15. It was the first public duty carried out by Col. Fielder in connection with that particular year of office.