300th Anniversary of the Consecration of St Catherine's Church
11th June 1712 - 11th June 2012
A short service was held today at the Heritage Centre attended by members and friends of the Heritage Centre (St Katherine’s) and members of the congregation of St Nicholas Church.
The Litany used would have been in use in 1712 asking for God to ‘have mercy upon us miserable sinners’.
The church built in 1712 was much smaller than the building today, held a congregation of 80 and stood several feet nearer to the road.
Rev David Tudor unveiled the new stained glass window in the old church commemorating 300 years since the first English Church on the site was consecrated by the Bishop of London on the 11th June 1712.
Much more history of the church can be seen on this site here.