We have often been asked when was the Jellicoe built. We had managed to pin it down to the 30s but not a definitive date but now thanks to the National Brewery Trust we can.
The large site was bought in 1930 for £6,325 part of the site at Winterswyck was sold off in 1965. The new licence was issued in 1930/31. Building cost was £14,258 and the architect was Furnell. The pub opened it’s doors for the first time on the 21st May 1931.
The pub had a tenancy and the first landlord was Henry Challis who held the tenancy for £100 presumably a year increasing to £400 in 1934 until 1937. According to the amount of draft and bottles delivered during that time the business continued to expand.
W A Wilson in 1938 and W Jennings 1939-55. Coles Taverns owned it from 1956-62.
Information taken from documents held by the National Brewery Heritage Centre.