The Paddocks before the Paddocks

The field was originally owned by Henry Dellaway who was the proprietor of the Haystack. He used the field to exercise his horses, hence being known as the Paddocks.

The Paddocks in 1949. In this aerial picture the area is being used for a funfair. It was used for many of the carnival events.
The Paddocks in 1952.
This aerial photo was taken in the 1970s/80s. The Paddocks hall has been built, the War Memorial and gardens, the Splash park, CISCA House and the childrens playground.
Google photo showing the hospital building and how little room is left for a new hall.

Comments about this page

  • Can anyone remember a automaton clock (not the Guinness one) 1950’s – 60’s ?

    By Frances (20/03/2021)
  • Interesting but in all of the black and white photos there is no sign of the children’s play area in the south-east corner of the field but in the Google picture the ground markings of where they stood are clearly visible. G.

    By Graham (21/03/2021)
  • It is visible in the third photo Graham isn’t it?

    By Janet Penn (21/03/2021)
  • Aha yes! ” Should have gone to SpecSavers “not the the Poundstore ! It was a bit dark in that corner!

    By Graham (21/03/2021)

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *