Changes to Concord House

Concord House was built around 1909. But it grew over the years. The original plan was approved in May of that year. The owner was CW Hoar, the builder was Captain Gregson.

Not a lot of detail regarding the materials on the plan but I asked an expert what he could tell us.

9inch brickwork and then timber frame with a rough cast render. Defo joisted floors and would guess lathe and plaster ceilings but all just a guess.  The footings are non-existent especially by today’s standards, although raft foundations were common in 1920’s think this looks more like a normal stepping brick footing on concrete but only 9” thick footing.

Rough room sizes (L x W): All measured square, excluding any bay windows etc

Kitchen 8ft x 12ft

Lounge 11ft x 19ft

Bedroom or sitting room – 9ft x 11.5ft

Bedroom (LHS) – 12ft x 12ft

Bedroom (RHS) – 12ft x 11ft

Overall height of property from ground floor level to ridge is around 26ft

Widest point is nearly 30ft

A large cupboard over the stairs and a linen cupboard both at the back of the house under the low sloping roof.  Not forgetting the privy out the back with discreet fencing to shield people on their trip to the privy. As much planning seems to have gone into the earth closet as the rest of the property.

Ground Floor

1st Floor

Cross section AB

The privy

The first photo below shows the house during the period 1914-1920. It already has a large extension at the rear which was added during 1914.  The second photo shows no major enlargement but the roof of the extension has been made into a balcony. The last photo shows a major enlargement. A second story has been added to the rear extension.

No Comments

Start the ball rolling by posting a comment on this page!

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *