The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales. Vol. one
by John Marius Wilson. circa 1866
The Imperial Gazatteer of England and Wales is a substantial topographical dictionary first published between 1870 and 1872, edited by the Reverend John Marius Wilson. It contains a detailed description of England and Wales. Its six volumes have a brief article on each county, city, borough, civil parish, and diocese, describing their political and physical features and naming the principal people of each place.
Canvey-Island , a chapelry in Billericay and Rochford districts, Essex; encircled by the Thames, opposite the Hope, adjacent to Benfleet r. station, 4 and ½ miles SW of Rayleigh. It comprises parts of Vange (sic), Pitsea, Bowers-Gifford, North Benfleet, South Benfleet, Hadleigh, Prittlewell and Southchrch parishes; and its post-town is South Benfleet under Chelmsford. Acres, about 3,500. Pop., 111. The property is much subdivided. The surface is marshland sheep-pasture; and it is protected all round by embankment, and connected with the mainland by a causeway. Fairs are held on 25 June and 25 Sept. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £58. Patron, the Bishop of Rochester. The church is good.
Chapman Sand, a shoal in the Thames; off the south side of Canvey island. A beacon is on it.
Hole-Haven or Holy-Haven, a creek on the S coast of Essex; entering from the Thames, 1 ½ mile E of Thames-Haven; and ascending 4 ½ miles north-north-westward, past the W end of Canvey Island to the neighbourhood of Pitsea. Supplies of lobsters, from Norway and Scotland, are deposited here for conveyance up the Thames.
Kronos, a headland mentioned by Ptolemy as in the E of England; and generally identified with Canvey Point, at the Thames’ mouth, in Essex.