The Dutch Cottage
Post Cards of Canvey's Dutch Cottage of 1681
The oldest of originally three (known) Dutch Cottages or Roundhouses, this one is dated 1681. It was occupied into the twentieth century until it was turned into a Museum in 1962. Some theorise these could originally have been mills as normal homes of the period were made of wood.
A second Dutch Cottage remains in the Village at Holehaven Road and a third was in Northwick Road, but disapeared many many years ago.
There are two out of originally three replica Dutch Cottages in the Ellesmere Road area plus a larger replica in Ferndale Crescent.