George Chambers was one of the founding members of St Katharine’s Lodge which was started on the 12th October 1932. The first meetings were held at the Haystack until the start of WWII when they moved to the purpose built ‘Lodge of Instruction room’ at George Chambers home ‘Maisonwyck’.
The Lodge was named after St Katherine’s Church but for some reason the second ‘e’ has been changed to an ‘a’ and nobody knows why.
Quote from their website:
Dining was held at the Monico where the brethren were entertained by many artists including, Frankie Howard accompanied by Madame Vera Roper!
After George Chambers death in 1951 they used the Admiral Jellicoe and then after some 30 years they became a founding lodge of the Rochford Masonic Hall.
Quote from the Canvey News and Benfleet Recorder on Friday April 6th 1951 regarding George Chambers following his death:
High Masonic Honour
In 1917 he became a Freemason and joined Benfleet Lodge at the “Anchor Inn” (3798) and became a Past Master of Benfleet Lodge, 1925. He was a founder of Pitsea Lodge, and Trinity Lodge, Rayleigh. He was a member of Bondstone, London. He became a Past Master of all these Lodges. At Canvey Mr. Chambers was the founder of St. Katherine’s Lodge, St Katherine’s Chapter, St. Katherine’s Proceptors and St. Katherine’s Mark Masons. He became Past Master of all of them and in 1935 he was appointed Provincial Senior Warden. In 1950 he was appointed Grand Lodge Officer, a fitting conclusion to his Masonic career. St. Katherine’s was founded between 1928-9 at the “Haystack.” A hall was built at ‘Maisonwyck” and permission was obtained from the Grand Lodge to hold meetings there and it became St. Katherine’s Temple. His body rests there until the funeral.