In the foreground can be seen the cement barrels which had been salvaged by Frederick Hester. He used them to provide foundations for the pier he built. Small pleasure boats would sail from the pier and take visitors around the lighthouse and back again. The lighthouse can be seen in the centre background. It stood there for many years to warn sailors of the danger of the Chapman sandbank. All that’s left of Hester’s pier are the wooden stakes at the water’s edge. In the distance a steamer and a Thames barge can also be seen and beyond that is a very hazy Kent.
The card is postmarked August 1918.