Post Office Directory of Essex
CANVEY ISLAND, which is united to South Benfleet at low water by a causeway across Hadleigh Ray, it is in the parishes of Bowers Gifford, Hadleigh, North Benfleet, Pitsea, Prittlewell, South Benfleet, Southchurch, and Vange; it is the Convennos of the ancient geographer Ptolemy, and is a marsh island of the Thames, defended by high banks all round, erected in 1623; it forms a very rich grazing ground, on which many cattle and sheep are attened. Here is a coastguard station, with a lieutenant and eight men. The church is small, and named St. Catherine. The living is a perpetual curacy, yearly value 82, in the gift of the Bishop of Rochester, and held by the Rev. Thomas Julius Henderson, M. A., of Wadham College, Oxford, vicar of South Benfleet. A small fair is held on June 25th. This island is 6 miles long by 2 broad, contains 3,600 acres, and had a population in 1861 of 241.
Letters received from Chelmsford. Rayleigh is the nearest money order office.
Beckwith Charles, Lobster Smack
Drawbridge Thomas, beer retailer & grocer